By combining and averaging over 6,500 scores from 29 experienced participants, the Forum was able to create lists of top plants showing which plants are consistently excellent.
Taking pole position for butterflies was Buddleja davidii while greater knapweed top ranked for bumblebees. However, it was heather that came out in first place for the Honeybee, pulmonaria for solitary bees and fennel for hoverflies.
Adrian Thomas, organiser of the survey, said: "Gardeners can be confident that, if they grow the plants which came high on the lists, they have a great chance of being visited by the relevant groups of pollinators. However, the results also confirm that what is good for bumblebees, for example, is quite different from the preferred flowers for butterflies.
"The top lists are crammed with flowers that you would want to grow in your garden, showing that a wildlife-friendly garden can look wonderful, too. Hopefully, the results will inspire more gardeners to seek out and try some of these winners.
There are some plants that are often recommended as being good for pollinators, such as primrose and pot marigold, that did not score highly in the survey.
Conversely, some more unusual plants not normally recommended for wildlife were identified as being excellent, and might enter the charts in future if more observations are made to confirm this.
To take part in the survey in 2017, email the Wildlife Gardening Forum at email@example.com.
Top 5 Lists, with average scores
- Butterfly Bush Buddleja davidii 2.71
- Yellow Butterfly Bush Buddleja x weyeriana 2.63
- Verbena Verbena bonariensis 2.58
- Michaelmas Daisy Aster nova-angliae 2.57
- Iceplant Sedum spectabile 2.33
- Greater Knapweed Centaurea scabiosa 3.00
- Round-headed Leek Allium sphaerocephalon 2.89
- Scorpionweed Phacelia tanacetifolia 2.86
4= Viper's Bugloss Echium vulgare
4= Field Scabious Knautia arvensis
- Heather Calluna vulgaris 2.80
- Borage Borago officinalis 2.75
- Round-headed Leek Allium sphaerocephalon 2.71
- Lavandin Lavandula x intermedia 2.70
- Apple Malus domestica 2.67
- Lungwort Pulmonaria spp. 2.73
- Lamb's-ear Stachys byzantina 2.67
- Comfrey sp. Symphytum spp. 2.67
- Dandelion Taraxacum officinale 2.63
- Hedge Veronica Hebe spp. 2.57
- Fennel Foeniculum vulgare 2.85
- Ivy Hedera helix 2.77
- Goldenrod Solidago spp. & cvs 2.71
- Common Hogweed Heracleum sphondylium 2.67
- Tansy Tanacetum vulgare 2.50