Gardenex exporters attract interest in the US
By Matthew Appleby Tuesday, 04 June 2013
British suppliers of garden and leisure products returning from the National Hardware Show in Las Vegas say they have generated leads that could lead to significant new business in the future.
Twelve firms exhibited in a group organised by the Gardenex export federation, whose British garden information stand attracted buyers from the US, Canada, Australasia, the Far East and parts of Europe.
First time exhibitor Grillstream attracted enquiries from retailers in Canada, North American and New Zealand, online companies plus an Israeli distributor.
Hug Rug received 50 leads for its environmentally friendly barrier mats, with retailers, distributors, wholesalers, mail order and internet companies from the US, Canada, Japan and Australia visiting.
Garden tool manufacturer, Spear & Jackson (UK) had a meeting with a prospective west coast distributor as well as discussions with retailers, wholesalers and mail order companies. Among the potential customers were some from Colombia and Bermuda.
VegTrug received orders for its raised bed system from both existing and new contacts in North America and as far away as Australia, as well as 60 enquiries. Much of the company’s 250 per cent increase in sales in the first quarter of the year have been export orientated.
Other British exhibitors included Rowlinson Garden Products, La Hacienda and Wood Fired Ovens by Jamie Oliver. Jamie Oliver received an order for its ovens from a US housing development company.
Another Gardenex company, Porous Pipe, exhibited on the stand of its US distributor, Bosmere Inc, and attracted interest for its soaker hose from companies in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK.
The distributorship agreement came as a direct result of a Gardenex-organised ‘meet the buyer’ event last year.
Latest stories from Horticulture Week
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Nursery Supervisor Griffin Nurseries 20-25k, Hampshire / Liphook, Hampshire
- HEAD GARDENER REQUIRED - COTSWOLDS Knight Frank £28,000 - £30,000 no accommodation, Gloucestershire / Cheltenham, Gloucestershire / Northleach, Gloucestershire
- Contract Supervisor Lowther Forestry Group Ltd Attractive salary, vehicle and benefits package, South East England / South West England
- Experienced Gardener Wilsons Automobiles £23,400 per annum, (£10.00 per hour), Epsom, Surrey
- Head Gardener for Private Estate pvt estate Negotiable - depending on experience, Cornwall
NEWS: Gardeners’ wages likely to be raised by RHS in benchmark exercise
GARDEN RETAIL TOP 100 PROFILE: How Coolings in Kent has built up its reputation
PLANT FOCUS: Ligularia
PEST & DISEASE FACTSHEET: Spider mites
UK GROWER AWARDS 2015: Entries now open