Gardenex exporters attract interest in the US
By Matthew Appleby Tuesday, 04 June 2013
British suppliers of garden and leisure products returning from the National Hardware Show in Las Vegas say they have generated leads that could lead to significant new business in the future.
Twelve firms exhibited in a group organised by the Gardenex export federation, whose British garden information stand attracted buyers from the US, Canada, Australasia, the Far East and parts of Europe.
First time exhibitor Grillstream attracted enquiries from retailers in Canada, North American and New Zealand, online companies plus an Israeli distributor.
Hug Rug received 50 leads for its environmentally friendly barrier mats, with retailers, distributors, wholesalers, mail order and internet companies from the US, Canada, Japan and Australia visiting.
Garden tool manufacturer, Spear & Jackson (UK) had a meeting with a prospective west coast distributor as well as discussions with retailers, wholesalers and mail order companies. Among the potential customers were some from Colombia and Bermuda.
VegTrug received orders for its raised bed system from both existing and new contacts in North America and as far away as Australia, as well as 60 enquiries. Much of the company’s 250 per cent increase in sales in the first quarter of the year have been export orientated.
Other British exhibitors included Rowlinson Garden Products, La Hacienda and Wood Fired Ovens by Jamie Oliver. Jamie Oliver received an order for its ovens from a US housing development company.
Another Gardenex company, Porous Pipe, exhibited on the stand of its US distributor, Bosmere Inc, and attracted interest for its soaker hose from companies in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK.
The distributorship agreement came as a direct result of a Gardenex-organised ‘meet the buyer’ event last year.
Latest stories from Horticulture Week
- RHS and Hillier link for trees and shrubs manual update
- Waitrose first to get English strawberries on shelves
- Gardening stars inspire and advise Young Hort members at first event
- Botanic Gardens Conservation International partners with outlet shopping villages
- Former development proposal won't be pursued at Sanders says Garden Centre Group
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Assistant Gardener Rottingdean Place Dependant on experience, Rottingdean
- Contract Manager Ground Control Competitive salary, semi-annual bonuses amd company stock options, North Yorkshire, Northern Home Counties or South West London
- Head Gardener (live -out) (21034) Anders Plus IRO 25k neg, North London
- Garden Director St Andrews Botanic Garden Trust Around £35,000 depending on the skills, expertise and experience of the successful candidate ., St Andrews - East Scotland
- Experienced Senior Kitchen Gardener (ECG540) Horticruitment Circa £25K DOE, Nr Hook, Hampshire
UK Grower Awards 2014: Winners exemplify the finest in production horticulture
NEWS: Garden venues fight back with visitor upturn seen in 2013
GARDEN RETAIL: In-depth profile of Garden Retail Top 100 centre, Garsons in Surrey
MARKET REPORT: Landscape drainage and irrigation
PLANT FOCUS: Bamboo
PEST AND DISEASE FACTSHEET: Sciarid fly