Midlands grounds maintenance up for grabs
Friday, 07 June 2013
An efficient contractor could win a contract worth up to £32m over 20 years from a Midlands council contracting out grounds maintenance for the first time.
Charnwood Borough Council in Loughborough is looking to the private sector to save money. The successful contractor must show it can deliver five per cent savings.
The contract, at an estimated £1.6m a year over 2014-24, has two five-year extension options. It covers managing cemeteries, play areas, sports pitches, playing fields, flower beds, water courses and wildlife sites.
The local authority has 35 grounds maintenance staff, of whom at least 30 will be affected. The number to be transferred has not yet been finalised.
Charnwood head of cleansing and open spaces Neil Greenhalgh said: "We are looking for a good-quality service that recognises and mirrors the council's core value of customer service excellence."
Email email@example.com by 12 June.
Latest stories from Horticulture Week
- Record breaking year for Green Flag Award scheme
- Commons environmental audit committee urges Government to accept European risk assessment on neonicotinoids
- Reports suggest Homebase might be sold
- Morden Hall Garden Centre prepares for closing down sale
- Produce World boosts supply north of the border with acquisition
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Nursery Supervisor Griffin Nurseries 20-25k, Hampshire / Liphook, Hampshire
- HEAD GARDENER REQUIRED - COTSWOLDS Knight Frank £28,000 - £30,000 no accommodation, Gloucestershire / Cheltenham, Gloucestershire / Northleach, Gloucestershire
- Contract Supervisor Lowther Forestry Group Ltd Attractive salary, vehicle and benefits package, South East England / South West England
- Sprayer / Gardener 23230 Anders Plus Competitive, London (Greater)
- 2 x Garden Maintenance Operatives- 23745 Anders Plus £17k-£23k doe , London (Central), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Gr...
NEWS: Gardeners’ wages likely to be raised by RHS in benchmark exercise
GARDEN RETAIL TOP 100 PROFILE: How Coolings in Kent has built up its reputation
PLANT FOCUS: Ligularia
PEST & DISEASE FACTSHEET: Spider mites
UK GROWER AWARDS 2015: Entries now open