BDP takes first steps towards Britain's answer to the High Line
Tuesday, 06 November 2012
Britain's answer to the High Line in New York is gathering steam in a project led by landscape architects at BDP.
The practice has teamed up with residents in Manchester to campaign for a park to be built on top of one of the city’s derelict Victorian railway viaducts. The project echoes that for the High Line, a mile-long park on top of a disused fright line in Manhattan.
"Ideas for how the Castlefield Viaduct might be revitalised follow a BDP initiative that set out to identify derelict areas in Manchester suitable for green regeneration," said the practice.
"From this we created visualisations outlining how the viaduct might be transformed into an urban garden, featuring plants and shrubs, walkways, a cafe, allotments and open plazas designed for sunbathing."
Landscape architect and urban design associate Darrell Wilson said: "It’s the start of a long road and it would be amazing if the vision could be realised. It will be much more than a walkway but a multifaceted, community-owned space.
"It would create the opportunity for residents to socialise, grow their own produce, fire up barbecues in the summer – all within a beautiful and naturally designed landscape."
Castlefield Forum said there was a long way to go and much work to be done before the project took detailed shape, said committee member Ali McGowan.
"Our work now is all about gaining momentum for this project and exploring how BDP’s vision could work and how well-chosen partnerships could make this project economically viable."
Latest stories from Horticulture Week
- Latest Hessayon Expert book sees sales of more than 25,000
- Monitoring of potentially damaging pine moth to be stepped up
- Landscaping competition gets underway at Tatton
- Fresh produce is big winner as first £18 million of Agri-Tech fund awarded
- Glendale works with Army Reservists to restore park island
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- HEAD GARDENER REQUIRED - COTSWOLDS Knight Frank £28,000 - £30,000 no accommodation, Gloucestershire / Cheltenham, Gloucestershire / Northleach, Gloucestershire
- Contract Supervisor Lowther Forestry Group Ltd Attractive salary, vehicle and benefits package, South East England / South West England
- Gardener - Team Leader Landscape Associates Ltd £19,000 - £23,000 - Dependant on individual experience, Teddington, London (Greater) / Teddington, London (Greater)
- Landscape Operations Manager MorePeople £30000 - £32000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Junior Buyer MorePeople £20000 - £30000 per annum, Cambridgeshire