Efco DS 2800H
Friday, 02 September 2011
It is always the best option to work with both feet firmly on the ground, and this model will let you do just that. With the blade assembly mounted on the end of the shaft arm, the DS 2800H will reach up to 3m without having to fetch a platform.
The Efco DS 2800H trimmer has raw power to slice through thick stems. The 50cm-long steel blade has a 35mm pitch and combined with the high power of the professional-grade, eco-friendly 27cc engine, plus the truly heavy-duty gearbox, there is a good chance you can cut the growth you left last year for want of sufficient reach.
"It's cutting through some heavy material - inch-thick branches - with ease," says Nolen.
As we would expect with a long reach, it has a rotating head. It surprises us how easy it is to adjust to any of 12 positions - from 0 degs to 180 degs - simply by pulling the lever and clicking the head home in any of the easy-to-line-up slots. We especially like the way the head folds back against the shaft to give a neat and tidy tool for transport or storage.
Starting the DS 2800H is straightforward. A primer helps with cold starts. In use, we find that it is a relatively quiet machine. No tester reports any vibration. There are A-V elements on the engine cowling. "It's a smooth runner. I didn't notice any vibration," Woodman confirms.
Everyone opted to use the harness because it aids manoeuvrability and control. The 26mm-diameter aluminium shaft is comfortable to hold, having soft-rubber inserts for safe, non-slip grip whatever the operating position.
The rear handgrip is well designed to present all the controls - throttle trigger, safety lever and on/off switch - just where you need them. "I've used lighter machines but the balance and weight of this one is good," says Smith.
But it does not just cut hedges. It can be used to give a neat trim to grass and also for underwater reed mowing, which could be a bonus for some. The biggest advantage, however, is the price.
Engine: Emak two-stroke 27cc
Power output: 1kW (1.3hp)
Blade type: Double-sided, double-edged
Blade length: 50cm (20")
Cutting capacity: 35mm
Angle of head rotation: 0 degs to 180 degs in 12 steps
Machine length: 2.43m
Dry weight: 7.4kg
Vibration: Left 8m/s2; Right 7.5m/s2
Sound power level: 102dB(A)
List price: £424.68 + VAT
Tel: Emak UK - 01543 687660
Latest stories from Horticulture Week
- McDonald's aims to change customer buying behaviour by giving away fruit bags with Happy Meals
- Plant small trees to win residents over to greening, researchers suggest
- BBC's The One Show garden design competition returns to Hampton Court
- Ambassadors prepare for first YoungHort conference set to be staged at RHS Wisley
- Scholarships awarded to inspire young horticulturists
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Assistant Gardener Rottingdean Place Dependant on experience, Rottingdean
- Arboricultural Officer Portsmouth City Council Band 08 - £26,539 to £28,922 p.a, Portsmouth, Hampshire
- Garden Director St Andrews Botanic Garden Trust Around £35,000 depending on the skills, expertise and experience of the successful candidate ., St Andrews - East Scotland
- Experienced Senior Kitchen Gardener (ECG540) Horticruitment Circa £25K DOE, Nr Hoo, Hampshire
- Grounds Maintenance Operative/Supervisor Scofell Landscapes Ltd Salary will be dependent on experience. , Newbury, Berkshire
UK Grower Awards 2014: Winners exemplify the finest in production horticulture
NEWS: Garden venues fight back with visitor upturn seen in 2013
GARDEN RETAIL: In-depth profile of Garden Retail Top 100 centre, Garsons in Surrey
MARKET REPORT: Landscape drainage and irrigation
PLANT FOCUS: Bamboo
PEST AND DISEASE FACTSHEET: Sciarid fly